Monday, September 27, 2010

4. Hebrews 11:39

''These were all commented for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised.''

Words ain't enough! You can believe all the right things, yet still be dead wrong. To survive, beautifully till the end, we do not only based on reality. Sometimes, we need to count on faith and what we perceived to be deceptions too. Ironic but true. Most often, not even giants of faith get exactly what they want.


Faith. A big word in my life. Often illustrated as the lubricant for an engine that's about to break down. That picture of faith emerges from my experience are phrases like persevere, endure, don't lose heart, keep up with the challenging, keep running on track, just keep swimming, just keep swimming..........but how long do I need to swim? There is no end in the ocean and up on the earth! The world is round, the world is small. Yes, but when it comes to having faith, the world is enormous and border-less. '' Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.'' (Heb 11:1)

Some people think of faith as an almost magical force. A magic word that you cling to and muster up. They say, if you muster up enough of it, you'll be awesome, wealthy, powerful, stay healthy and live a contented life. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. Yet, how do we muster up faith? Faith or true faith? What are the signs for it? I suppose each individual has his own definition of faith.

I define my faith as a constant commitment to hang on and believe God against all odds, no matter what. Difficult race, a tough one. The process of living by faith in Jesus Christ builds strong character and resiliency. This life race has nothing to lose. But if I finish it, I'll be rewarded with what I perceived to believe in. A place to belong afterlife, and of course heaven not hell. '' Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God promised to those who love Him.'' (James 1:12) Living in the world but not of the world is hardly simple. However, the constant test of faith and temptations develops perseverance. And perseverance must finish its work so that I am mature and complete, not lacking anything (James 1:4).

''But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that__ and shudder.'' (James 2:18-19)

Living in Christ for 4 years now, I must say, I've learnt a lot through both the Bible and aging. LOL. Yes, I do not deny that aging plays an important role in teaching each sane soul to comprehend much further from the abstract view. So far, I am not severely executed or casted out by the society for what I chose to believe in, yet. However, people around me often make me think about how firm is my stand in the Lord. I must say, it does feel alone at times with the fact that often people that I get acquainted with have different beliefs as we Christians have.

Picture credit to JonWoon

Moreover, faith cannot stand alone. ''As a body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead'' (James 2:26). It is worthless and useless to just have faith and a religion. Christianity with much faith and deeds is a teaching and guidance upon my life. It is hardly simple to run this race, but hey, live life dangerously, no? =)

Word of the day : Faith, deeds



2 comments:

  1. ahaha! you meant that korean gal. yea. now i remembered. i took it from your album some time ago. =)

    ReplyDelete